Australian Visitor Visa

Australia is considered as a great place to visit, whether staying for a holiday, to meet friends or relatives, or to work or study for a short time. For the majority of visitors Australia means an endless summer where the living is easy; where the adventures are as vast as the horizons, and a place of can-do spirit and easy friendliness. Every aspect of Australian life and culture, whether it’s high spirited people or its truly great outdoors, is just wonderful.

However, despite of how long you aim to stay, you must have a valid Australian visa if you want to visit Australia. There are some of the visa options available for you if you want to visit Australia. You can apply for the following visitor visas if you are outside Australia and you hold a passport from an eligible country:

  1. Visitor visa (subclass 600)
  2. Electronic Travel Authority visa (subclass 601)
  3. e-Visitor (subclass 651) 
  1.      Visitor visa (subclass 600)

This visa is for people travelling to Australia:

•          As a tourist

•          For business visitor activities

•          To see family and friends

The visa allows you to visit Australia for a particular time period as determined by the visa department. Under this visa you can visit Australia for tourism or business visitor activities. Tourism includes holidays, recreation and seeing family or friends while business visitor activities mainly include attending a conference, negotiation or a business visit. Apart from it, people intending informal study or training for less than 3 months may also be eligible to apply for a Visitor visa. 

However, you must keep in mind that you cannot work for or provide services to a business or organisation in Australia or sell goods or services to the public under this visa. 

  1.      Electronic Travel Authority visa (subclass 601)

This visa is for people travelling to Australia:

•          As a tourist

•          For business visitor activities

It is the most advanced and streamlined visa authorisation system in the world. The ETA has replaced visa labels or stamps and removed the need for application forms.

In the majority of cases, under this visa you are allowed to visit Australia on multiple occasions within 12 months from the date of the grant of the visa or the life of the visa holder’s passport for a maximum period of three months at a time.

Please note that you must be outside Australia when the Electronic Travel Authority visa is granted or you have to be in immigration clearance at the time it is granted. 

  1.      e-Visitor (subclass 651)

This is a free visa for certain people travelling to Australia:

•          As a tourist

•          For business visitor activities

Like ETA, this visa also allows you to visit Australia for three months at a time and travel to Australia on many occasions within 12 months from the date the visa is granted.

 The other conditions of the visitor visa:

Visitors to Australia ought to be willing and able to abide by the visa validity and rules while in Australia. In case you do not abide by these rules, your visa can get cancelled or you might be subject to other penalties.

•          You must not work while in Australia. However, limited volunteer work may be acceptable in some cases.

•          You should not undergo any studies or training for more than three months.

•          In case if you are minimum 11 years of age and you plan to study in a class-room environment for more than 4 weeks, you need to pass a chest x-ray examination before begin your studies.

•          You must not be affected with tuberculosis at the time of travel and entry into Australia.

•          You must depart within the validity of the Visitor Visa.

•          If arriving on a visitor visa (especially ETA) with criminal convictions, you can be refused entry into Australia. 

Who can apply for visitor visa?

This visitor visa is available to all passport holders who are outside Australia and want to apply for a visa to visit Australia. However, in case of Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) or e-Visitor, visitors of only certain nationalities are eligible to apply.

Documents required for visiting or entering in Australia:

Except from Australian and New Zealand citizens, people of all other nationalities need to present the following documents:

•          a valid passport or other acceptable travel document

•          a valid visa or authority to enter Australia (including electronic visas)

•          a completed and signed Incoming Passenger Card, including health and character declaration.

Anyone without a valid travel document, visa or authority, can be refused entry to Australia or delayed until their identity and reasons to enter Australia have been confirmed.