Do you feel uncomfortable with the English language? Don’t worry here’s the solution!!

Without any doubt, Australia is one of the top locations for students from all around the world to go for their study abroad. But are you among those people who still don’t feel comfortable with the English language? You definitely might be able to understand it a bit, but reading and speaking English might be difficult for you.

Nevertheless, you need to worry as there are a number of opportunities that you can get for studying English if you choose to study abroad in Australia.

Usually, you have to provide certification that you have a sufficient knowledge of the English Language if you want to be accepted for school in Australia. There are a number of internationally accepted exams that one can take if he wanted to be accepted at a university in an English speaking country. These mainly include:

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) (internet-based test, accepted from limited countries)
  • Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic
  • Occupational English Test (OET)

However, The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and the Cambridge Exam (CAE) are the most well-liked among all and the most widely accepted exams out there.

Here are some of the English short courses options for those who want to improve their language skills...

Second Language courses:  Apart from testing, many of the Australian universities offer English as a Second Language courses that students can take before or alongside their regular coursework. These Second Language courses are mostly intense and aim at teaching students English as quickly as possible so that they can adapt to Australia lifestyle and can speak English without any frustration. University English as a Second Language courses are generally include smaller classes as compare to other general education classes. This is due to the fact that that learning a second language needs a great deal of individual attention. There are chances that you might also be assigned a native English speaker partner so that you can learn the language more quickly by the use of interaction and conversation.

Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP): There are also many opportunities for those people who are permanently migrating to Australia. The Australian government runs a special program for them, which is known as the Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP). These programs aim to provide free English language courses to those migrants, who have migrated to this country for work or humanitarian purposes. However, to get entry into these programs, eligibility is generally determined by the Australian department of Immigration and Citizenship.

Everyday interactions: You can also get some opportunities to get a better hold on the English language, during your everyday interactions. The more a person will be engrossed in the English language, the more easily he/she will pick the language up and the better he/she will be able to speak it. Those who get a chance to live with a host family or a roommate, their interactions with them might be enough for them to get a better grip on the language than they did before. 

Australian government along with its educational institutions does everything that it can do to help people who are coming to Australia from other countries and that don’t speak English as the main language. If you require more help or if you have any questions about learning the English language before or during living in Australia, you can check the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website. Moreover, you can also consult the international studies office at your university where you are studying.