A complete guide on Australian Working Holiday Maker programme!!!

The Australian Working Holiday Maker programme offers a temporary visa to those young people (between 18 to 31 years) who want to holiday and work in this country for up to a year. It is a temporary visa programme that encourages cultural exchange and closer ties between Australia and other eligible countries. It provides visa holders casual work rights to supplement their travelling costs.

The Working Holiday Maker programme offers two types of visas: Working Holiday visa (Subclass 417) and Work and Holiday visa (Subclass 462) depending on the country of residence of the applicant.

The Working Holiday Maker programme allows you to:

  • stay in Australia for up to 12 months
  • work in Australia for up to six months with one employer
  • study for up to four months
  • leave and re-enter the country any number of times if the visa is valid 

Important guidelines on applying for visa under this programme

1. First Working Holiday visa

Applicant must be outside Australia when he/she applies for their first Working Holiday visa and at times when the visa is decided.

2. Second Working Holiday visa

Those who apply for this visa in Australia, need to be in Australia when the visa is granted. On the other side, if they apply outside Australia, they must be outside Australia at times the visa is granted.

3. Working in Australia

 Visa holders can generally only work for up to six months with one employer. 

Basic Requirements to apply under this programme

  • Applicant must be at least 18 but not yet 31 years of age
  • Applicant should not have a dependent child accompanying him/her at any time during their stay in Australia
  • Applicant needs a valid passport from an eligible country or other travel document for this visa
  • Applicant must have sufficient funds to support himself during his stay in Australia
  • Applicant must not have any substantial criminal convictions
  • Applicant must not have any substantial medical problems
  • The work a visa holder undertakes need to be incidental to the main purpose of holidaying
  • The application for a first Working Holiday Visa must be made offshore (i.e. not in Australia)
  • Applicants cannot apply for this visa if they already hold another visa that has a ‘No further stay’ condition. 

Some additional important guidelines visa holders have to follow

  • Cost

Apart from visa application charges, applicants may have to pay other costs, including the costs of health assessments, police certificates, or any other certificates or tests. Therefore, the applicant is mainly responsible for making the necessary arrangements.

  • Working legally

The Australian Government as well as law has set up some strict laws about employment of non-citizens and penalties for breaking the law. Visa holders must not try to work without the right visa. Those people whose Working Holiday visa expires and they have not left Australia or applied for another visa, could risk being detained and perhaps removed. Moreover, they might not be allowed to return to Australia for a particular period of time as well.           

However, The Working Holiday Maker programme is not suitable for those seeking full-time study or permanent employment in Australia. Those whose main reason for coming to Australia is to get employment or study should go for a business visa or student visa which might better suit their needs.