Quick guide on Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme, Australia
The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa is a permanent employer sponsored visa. It requires a job offer in any Regional Area of Australia. This visa is a perfect visa option for skilled workers who want to work in regional Australia. This visa allows visa holder to work in Australia under one of three streams:
- the Temporary Residence Transition stream
- the Direct Entry stream
- the Agreement stream
To be granted The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa, the employee/ applicant must be offered a position in any of regional areas (the areas specified by postcode by the Department of Immigration).
Given below are considered Regional areas for the purposes of Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme sponsorship:
- The whole of Western Australia
- The whole of South Australia
- The whole of Northern Territory
- The whole of Tasmania
- The whole of ACT
- All areas of New South Wales (NSW) except Sydney, Wollongong and Newcastle
- All areas of Victoria - excluding Melbourne
- All areas of Queensland- excluding Brisbane
In order to be granted The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa, the applicant has to fulfil the conditions of basic criteria, which include...
- Applicant must be nominated by an approved Australian employer for a job in any regional area of Australia.
- Applicant needs to be less than 50 years of age, if he/she is applying under the Temporary Residence stream, or need to be less than 45 years of age if he/she is applying under the Direct Entry stream.
- Applicant should meet the skills, qualifications and English language requirements of the position.
- Applicant has to meet the other requirements of one of the streams of this visa.
Three streams of the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme
- Temporary Residence Transition stream
This stream is for subclass 457 visa holders who have worked for at least two out of the three years (before the nomination is made) in the same occupation with their nominating employer who wants to offer them a permanent position in that occupation. However, the employer should not subject to a labour agreement and who has lodged a valid nomination with the authorities under the Temporary Residence Transition stream.
2. Direct Entry stream
The Direct Entry stream is for those people who have been nominated by their employer under the Direct Entry stream. Moreover, those who have never or only for a very short time, worked in Australia and those who are temporary residents and do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream, can also apply through this stream.
3. Agreement stream
The Agreement stream is for subclass 457 visa holders who are nominated by an employer through a labour agreement.
Eligibility criteria - All streams
Only those applicants might be able to get this visa if they:
- have been nominated by an approved Australian employer in any regional area of Australia within six months before they apply
- are under the age of 50 if they are applying under the Temporary Residence stream, or need to be under the age of 45 if applying under the Direct Entry stream
- possess the required skills and qualifications for the position they have been nominated for at time of application lodgement
- have appropriate English language skills for Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) stream and Direct Entry (DE) stream at time of lodging application
- fulfil health and character requirements
- fulfil the individual requirements of the stream in which they apply