A quick guide on Australian parent visa
Australia parent visa is a permanent visa that allows parents of settled Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens to migrate and live in Australia permanently.
No doubt there is a high demand for permanent family visas; however, there are only a limited number of places that are available each financial year.
Applications are generally processed in the order they are lodged in. Moreover, no more visas are granted in the financial year once the limit is reached.
- Privileges of Australia parent visa
There are a number of benefits this visa provides. These include...
- Visa holder can stay in Australia indefinitely
- It allows visa holder to work and study in Australia
- Visa holder can enrol in Medicare, which is Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
- Visa holder can sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
- It allows visa holder to travel to and from Australia for five years
- Visa holder can also apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible.
- Basic eligibility criteria
There are some basic requirements that an applicant has to fulfil if he/she wants to apply for a parent category visa. These include..
- Applicant must have a child who is an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen
- Applicant’s child should have been living in Australia lawfully for at least 2 years before the applicant lodge his/her visa application
- Applicant must have a sponsor
- Applicant must meet the Balance of family test criteria
- Applicant must meet health and character requirements
- Other important requirements
- Applicants can be in or outside Australia when they apply for this visa. However, they must be outside Australia when a decision is made on their visa application.
- The applicant for a parent visa has to meet the balance of family test. The balance of family test is generally designed to establish the extent of applicant’s links to Australia. An applicant can only meet the balance of family test if:
- at least half of his/her children live permanently in Australia, or
- more of his/her children live permanently in Australia than in any other country
- The Contributory Parent category
Apart from The Parent category, there is one another visa category available to parents of those Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens who wan to migrate to Australia and this category is called The Contributory Parent category. No doubt it generally cost more than the parent visa but it is usually processed faster.
The Contributory Parent category generally has more visa places available each Migration Program year as compare to The Parent category. Moreover, by applying for a visa in the Contributory Parent category, parents can choose to make a considerably higher contribution to their future health and welfare costs.
Moreover, this visa allows aged parents who are in Australia on a temporary basis and who have children living in Australia, to live in Australia for a long time. Nevertheless, applicants must apply for a permanent visa before this temporary visa expires.